Home

Betta fish gills swollen

Betta Inflamed Gills - Symptoms, Treatment & Preventio

Betta Fish With Swollen Gill? My Aquarium Clu

1. He probably had what you feel he had: inflamed gills due to ammonia levels. Betta normally swim to top of water to gulp air and swim back down; they are labyrinth fish who are capable of breathing under water and air (which is why labyrinth fish are so cool! Nov 29, 201
  2. Betta fish infected with velvet appear to have a rusty skin and scaly head including the gills and belly, and can also have black spots or marks allover the skin causing a color loss. The parasitic disease can be prevented by improving the quality of water and ensuring the living conditions are stress-free
  3. Malawi bloat causes the fish to swell. Also, your betta may stop eating. As the condition progresses, the fish will spend a lot of his time at the surface of the water, gulping air
  4. Ammonia - a part of your betta's biological waste, and it will build up if the water is unfiltered. Because even mild concentrations of ammonia can burn a fish's gills, If you see your betta darting about frantically and gasping for air at the surface, you may be looking at ammonia poisoning
  5. Dropsy is actually not a disease, but rather the symptom of what's going on inside the betta fish's body from other ailments. These ailments include fluid build up and the swelling of failing organs (liver and kidney). Dropsy is severe and visible from above
  6. Swollen eyes and gills If our Betta fish's eyes are protruding from its head, then they may be swollen and indicate a sign of sickness. If the fish is not able to close its gills completely while breathing, then they are swollen too. You need to get a quick check on its health condition if so

Swim bladder disease can give your betta's side a swollen, lumpy appearance. The swim bladder is an internal sac filled with gas that helps the fish to move up and down in the water, in the same way as a diver might use a buoyancy aid Contrary to popular belief, swelling of the gills in a betta does not mean a lack of air in the water and does not oblige to buy a compressor to enrich the water with oxygen. Bettas are labyrinth fish that are distinguished by their ability to breathe atmospheric air My Betta, Fishy is in a 2gallon cube with thriving live plants, 9watt light, and small HOB filter adjusted for low flow and filled with bio balls along with the filter insert. Water is heated to 76-78*. Water used is 12 step filtered RO water treated with Kent liquid RO right We've had him.. The symptoms of columnaris are frayed and ragged fins, cotton-like growths on your betta, gills turning brown, mouth swelling and sometimes detaching, lethargy and lack of appetite. To treat columnaris make sure you lower the temperature of your tank to 75 °F and use medicine such as Furan 2 or Kanaple It's become clearer what's going on with my betta. One of his gills is swollen on just one side. His color has faded and he's less active. His belly also seems swollen underneath. He's hungry but is having trouble taking the food in his mouth. I started him on Maracyn and Maracyn2 yesterday but he seems kinda worse today. His parameters are all.

Betta popeye, also called betta fish eye bulge, is characterized by a betta fish's eye swollen abnormally, often with a white ring around the eye. The condition results from one of three causes, according to Betta Fish Rescue A common bacterial infection that afflicts betta fish, swollen eye syndrome, also commonly referred to as pop-eye, can be a symptom of a more serious internal problem. Basically, it is caused by the accumulation of fluid either in the eye or behind the eye, in the socket, which cause the eye to bulge out

Your betta might have a swollen belly due to several reasons. It can result from constipation, where it has a problem of indigestion and inability to empty its bowels. It will keep the food in the fish's belly, causing it to become bigger as days go Name: Fish Dropsy Scientific Name: Depends on what caused it. It's a secondary symptom Cause: Usually caused by a virus, bacterial infection or parasite Visual Betta Symptoms: Extreme body swelling/bloat in stomach and pineconing of scales Behavioral Betta Symptoms: Lack of appetite, lethargic, bottom-dwelling, darting to surface for oxygen, laying on their sid

The betta's internal organs will be affected, specifically the kidneys and liver. The fish becomes anemic, so its gills become pale. The fish's body cavity fills with bodily fluids, causing the vital organs to be pushed aside and distorting the spine. The betta's scales stick out from his body so that he resembles a pine cone A Betta fish may develop a bloated belly due to overfeeding with nutrient-dense foods or a lack of fiber in its diet. Substandard water quality, bacterial infections, or internal parasites may also contribute to bloat in fish. All of these factors may lead to an expansion of the abdomen in fish and a belly that looks extremely swollen A betta with cloudy and/or swollen eyes likely suffered physical damage, has cataracts, or is battling a bacterial infection known as popeye. Additional Notes About Eyes. GILLS. Healthy Fish. Gill plates that can open and close with ease. In healthy bettas, the gill plates remain closed during normal activities and can easily open and close. Article Summary X. To tell if a betta fish is sick, look for signs that it's unhealthy, like faded coloring, torn fins, bulging eyes, white spots, and raised scales. You should also watch out for a decrease in appetite or a low activity level, which are also signs that a betta fish is sick My betta has sbd related to dropsy from what looks like a bacterial or parasitic infection.ive been treating with both kanaplex metroplex and epsom salt (1 tsp per 5gal) and after 2 wks her pineconing she has aroubd her head/gills is gone, her fins are no longer clamped, she has an appetite back but i have to handfeed her, and she seems to.

The betta fish will also have clamped fins or may try scratching themselves on objects found in the tank. The betta fish may also lose colour or it's appetite. Cause: This is a parasite that is the #1 killer of betta fish. Be very careful and examine your betta fish regularly The gills on your Betta fish will become darker red or purple. It is one of the more pronounced symptoms that indicate a toxic intake of ammonia. High concentrations of ammonia begin to burn the gill tissues. That makes it harder for your pet to breathe, and it begins to gasp to force more water across the damaged gills..

Betta Disease: Inflamed Gills. When a Bettas gills become inflamed, one or both gills will not close properly. They may or may not look red on the inside, and if in the last stages, they would be gasping for air, unable to breathe properly. A Bettas gills may become inflamed because of bad water conditions, or perhaps from a bacterial infection Betta is swollen near gills. Help. Close. 1. Posted by 1 year ago. Archived. Betta is swollen near gills. Help. My betta is swollen near it's gills and I don't really know why we thought maybe constipation at first but the swelling hasn't gone down any advice. 3 comments. share. save. hide. report

Video: My Betta Gill Swollen My Aquarium Clu

Betta Fish Questions and Answers - All you need to know about Keeping Betta Splendens and Fighting Fishes Betta fish that have Dropsy will have a hard time pooping because its anus gets red and swollen. Aside from sunken eyes, other symptoms also include pale gills, ulcers forming up along the lateral line, and a curved spine Tumors in Betta fish's Gills Gill hyperplasia is another condition that is known to cause lumps and tumors of the gills. However, this usually only occurs when the gills have been damaged by a physical injury, or bacterial or parasitical infection, or toxins such as nitrites, nitrates, and amonia If the betta is having trouble reaching the surface to breathe, fill the bowl with only a few inches of filtered water. Add a plant or decoration on which the fish can rest closer to the surface. Bettas use a labyrinth rather than gills to breathe. The labyrinth functions similar to human lungs, and bettas must breathe oxygen from the surface

String of feces hanging from fish, swollen abdomen, sluggishness, disinterest in food, off-balance swimming. Constipation: Stop feeding for 2-3 days and continue with a more varied diet including live and plant-based foods. Small white spots that get larger over time possibly with black streaks. Fish Pox: No treatment Swollen or red gills, gills not moving as much as usual; Swelling of the eyes or other parts of the body; Raised scales on the body, may be accompanied by swelling of the body; Learning to recognize the signs of illness in your betta fish is very important 10 gallon tank is 6 months old. ph 6.7 amonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 (heavily planted) Temp 78-80 Our water is on the hard side. Had 6 zebra danios lost 2, the 4 remaining had red gills and were gasping at the bottom. Betta appeared unaffected. I quarantined the danios and treated with aquarium.

The symptoms of ammonia or nitrite poisoning are often lethargy, red or inflamed gills (gill covers sticking out when the Betta is resting and not flaring) and gasping for air. This occurs because the ammonia or the nitrite burn the gills of the fish making it very difficult or impossible for them to get dissolved oxygen out of the water The common signs of Betta fish sickness are clamped fins, open sores, raised scales, reddened and inflamed gills, hollow or swollen belly, swollen eyes, and fading color or discoloration of the body, as well as rubbing or swimming against different objects present in the aquarium Hair stuck in gill. My betta has been looking off for a few days. He has been lethargic and his gills are swollen. I inspected him closely today and I noticed that he had a small hair (probably cat hair, about half an inch long) sticking halfway out of his gill. I managed to pull it out with a tweezers but he's still not looking great 13 Posts. Discussion Starter • #1 • Mar 11, 2012 (Edited) My betta's right side of his head is swollen. He has a white spot at the top of the gill and one on the bottom. His gill is open and it is white inside. It looks like someone took a white spear and stuck in through the right side of his head. He is breathing harder Just take a look at your betta fish, look at the face, and directly below the face, right under and slightly behind the gills, is where you will find the betta fish stomach. Bloating From Dropsy Now, overfeeding your Betta fish, while it can have serious consequences in addition to having an overweight betta fish if you realize what you are.

The only time a Betta fish would lose its coloration naturally, is due to a Marble gene. Fish with the gene may randomly change their entire color patterns. However, if the loss of color is accompanied by symptoms such as lethargy, a lack of appetite, or bloating you should likely take immediate action. 1 Caring for an Old Betta. Based on my experience with my elderly betta, Frederick, here is some advice on taking care of your older fish and keeping them comfortable. 1. Lower the Water. The water level should be low enough so the fish doesn't exert himself to breathe but still high enough for adequate filtration Lady Hobbs. 06-15-2010, 02:24 PM. A bit of salt might help with the gill for now. It's supposed to help with inflammation and with gill function. 1 T for 5 gallons. Non-iodized, Kosher or aquarium salt. I am currently using Seachems Stability in my 10 gallon. Works fine and so does Tetra Safe Start A fish with dropsy will be obviously round and swollen, particularly around the abdomen, the swelling causes the scales to stick out, and when viewed from the top the fish will resemble a pine cone. Fish suffering from dropsy are often lethargic, poorly colored, and uninterested in food Gill Hyperplasia. Siamese fighting fish hyperplasia in general is the increase in the number of cells in a given location; for example, tumors. In bettas, hyperplasia of the gills is the most common as the gill tissue is very sensitive and susceptible to damage from toxins.Ammonia and nitrite, for instance, can reek havoc on fragile gill tissue even at seemingly low levels like .25 -.5 ppm

What Would You Do? Swollen Betta | 303862 | Betta Fish

Fish mouth rot or mouth fungus, sometimes known as cotton mouth or cotton wool disease, is one of the frequently seen fish diseases in home aquariums. It is so common that I ran into it during my first year of aquarium fish keeping. Causes of Mouth Rot, Mouth Fungus on Fish. It is called mouth fungus by most people because sometimes it looks like mold or a cotton patch React to the very first signs of dropsy in your Betta. Proper care and treatment of the infection will revive him and other affected fish, allowing you to restore your aquarium to its original, healthy state. If you have just started keeping Betta fish, it would be advisable to study their traits and health precautions so that you immediately recognize signs of distress when it occurs Betta fish are also surprised by a sudden tapping on the betta fish's tank or by suddenly opening the aquarium light when the room is dark. They swim away fast and hide where they can. According to the 2017 study by a group of Portuguese scientists , Our data supports the occurrence of emotion-like states in fish that are regulated by the. These are signs of swim bladder disorder, a common illness among Betta fish. Swim bladder disorder is caused by overfeeding your Betta fish, leading to a swollen swim bladder that causes your fish to float on one side or the lie at the bottom of the tank because swimming becomes too difficult

Definition . Ammonia is the waste product of a fish's protein metabolism and is excreted by their gills directly into the water. When ammonia in fresh or saltwater reaches a toxic level, the fish's skin, eyes, fins, and gills are chemically burnt. Low levels of ammonia in the water can cause an increase in mucus on the skin, which can make the skin of the fish look pale, and can coat the. Add 2 ½ teaspoons of salt for every 10 gallons of clean freshwater in the hospital fish tank. The mineral (magnesium sulfate) found in the salt will remove excess water from the sick fish's body. The excess water is actually the fluid caused by the dropsy disease and it makes the abdomen to swell Fish that are already infested by gill mites are brought into aquariums. The tiny mites stay on the fish's gills, and attack the fish by feeding on blood and living flesh. Treatment: Tetra Lifeguard® Remove filter carbon and turn off UV sterilizer. Add one tablet per day to each 5 gallons of water. Treat for 5 consecutive days The top betta fish diseases. The main sign of this problem is discoloration in the fins, and part of the fin missing. Most fish will have these parasites affecting their gills. You may observe more rapid gill movement than usual. Your fish will have a bulging and swollen eye. One or both eyes may be affected

My male betta has a mysterious skin disease that is resistant to a lot of medications. I want to find out once and for all what it is so if needed I can trea.. Dropsy is a common disease in bettas, and it is important that you know the basic facts about it. As I recently lost a betta to Dropsy, it it prompted me to. Table of Contents 1. Care & Treatment of Dropsy 2. Care & Treatment of Fin Rot 3. Care & Treatment of Velvet. Below is a list of common Betta fish diseases and their symptoms. It's important to note that all of these diseases are caused primarily by inadequate tank conditions The Four Most Important Aspects of Betta Care Are: 1) Proper Water Changes 2) Warm Water (78*-82*F) 3) Varied Diet 4) Quarentine New Fish/Plants/Tankmates If you do these 4 things, you can greatly reduce the chances of your betta getting sick. Things to keep on hand at all times •Extra nets and 1 gallon containers •Aquarium Salt (Aq.Salt Gills Flukes is the most common disease, especially in koi fish. It is happed due to Gill worm. It affects the gills of fish. Symptom. Fish swims in a very hurried manner. Fish may rest on the substrates, keeping the gills opened. Breathing trouble may occur in the Guppy. Swollen and discolored/blood patched gills can also be seen. Cause

Health and happiness go hand in hand. The more you know about your betta fish, the better you can care for it. Read on to learn how to keep your betta fish happy. Due to the aggressive nature of betta fish, many first-time fish keepers may believe they need little or no care. This is obviously untrue. All living things need care Betta fish with Bacterial Betta Disease usually show signs of Cloudy Eye accompanied by Lethargy, Swollen Gills, Redness and/or Irritation, Head Tilting, Disorientation and possibly Dropsy . Betta Bacterial Eye Infection Signs - Betta Fish Cloudy Eye signs in your Betta Fish can include excessive blinking, Betta will not be eating as much and. Your fish has a severely bloated stomach. Though it's not the worst case I've ever seen, it's bad enough. I cannot tell if any scales are raised away from the fish's body, so I can't tell if it also has dropsy, which is a different issue altogethe.. Betta fish swollen Eye September 1, 2020. Home; Betta Fish; Bettas can be vulnerable to a variety of illnesses. Knowing how to distinguish specific symptoms is essential so you can take immediate steps to isolate the sick betta and protect the other fish in the tank. Even if you don't have other fish in the tank, using a one-gallon fish bowl.

But one concern is that your betta's chances of survival are close to none. A protruding, swollen, and bloated belly is also another powerful sign of Dropsy. A curved spine that seems extremely abnormal can also be a sign of dropsy. It is caused by organ swelling, which induces strain and bends the spine of a fish I have a female betta. Her mouth has been a bit puffy lately but caused her no problem. Today I came home from work to find her unable to eat because her little mouth is swollen shut and one side of her face is swollen so bad that her gill on that side is shut too. Her scales on that side of her head are huge and bleeding in a couple of spots

Betta Swollen Behind The Gills Tropical Fish Forum

Betta fish Popeye is a sign of infection around a betta fish's eye. It can be an infection of the eye alone or a sign of a more serious internal disease. As with other fish illness and disease, early detection can increase the survival of your betta fish Angelfish Swollen Bellies - Big Stomach. Angelfish with swollen bellies or angelfish with a big stomach may be having symptoms of dropsy, which — as I mentioned at the section about angelfish dropsy — is an infection that damages the kidney function of angelfish and causes fluid build-up inside the fish Bloated Betta Hi! <Hey, Mike G here> I found your site while desperately searching for help for my poor little Betta. I am attaching 4 pictures - none are very sharp, but you should be able to see the size of the bloated area right behind his gills. <I am.> He is so huge I am afraid he will explode and I don't know what to do to help him. <Well, you can at least rest assured that he will not pop

swollen gills Betta Fish Forum 14651

This fish tank stand has a very basic style. It measures 48.5*13.5*29.5 and weighs around 34.5 pounds. The size is ideal for fitting a good 55 gallon fish tank. However, the main disadvantage that comes with this type of tank is that it only provides support for the edges which keeps it limited to glass fish tanks and not acrylic one Crowntail betta fish is the most beautiful and stunning fish species in the betta family. Their colorful caudal fins make them stand out in your freshwater aquarium. In addition, this colorful species will bring an eye-catching appearance to the tank Velvet is a parasitic betta fish disease that causes a goldish-yellow or rust-like sprinkling of color on the betta's body, gills, fins - or all three. It's hard to diagnose and is best identified using a light source, like a flashlight, and shining it on the betta By Mr. Lipmet, 2 years ago on Tropical Fish Recently I have gotten a betta fish at my local pet store. This isn't my first time owning a betta or any other type of fish. But, this is the first time any issues have come up. A little over a week ago my fish was floating on his side at the top of the tank and he seemed to be gasping for air A sick betta fish does not eat or eats reluctantly and may spit out his food. When it looks pale or its colors get dull or turn grey, it is a sure sign of a betta fish sick. The body may have open sores, white cottony patches, red and white spots. One or both the eyes may be swollen or protruding

Why Is My Betta Fish Flaring its Gills

An unhealthy betta fish will often exhibit discoloration in the fins, scales and other body parts. Constipation. If your betta fish exhibits signs of a protruding or swollen belly, constipation could be the culprit. To avoid fatality, you should cease feeding the fish for a few days. Lethargy. When betta fish fall ill, activity levels usually. Betta fish can come down with a number of diseases, most of which can be cured if treated fast enough. Here are some examples and symptoms: Fungal Infection: White or milky patches on its body or head. It might begin to be less active, may not be eating, fins might clump, color may be paler than usual When you see your fish opening their gill covers rapidly, have swollen gills or discolouration of their gill filaments then this is a sure sign of gill disease. Fish will stop eating or lie at the surface of the water gasping for air. Cause of gill disease. Newly imported fish kept in poor conditions or fish kept in poor conditions such as.

New Betta, inflamed gills and gasping for air Freshwater

my male betta's mouth is swollen, also his lips. There is no signs of cotton mouth, no bleeding. He has not been able to eat in 6 or 7 days now Betta fish are definitely unique when it comes to their personalities and looks, but they also breathe in a very special way. As mentioned before, one way bettas breathe is how all fish breathe, with their gills. In simplest terms, fish will suck in water through their gills 11. Gill Mites. Gill mites 3 are common parasites that are seen in fish. These parasites attach to your fish's skin and feed on their blood. Symptoms of Gill Mites. If your fish has gill mites, you will notice that their gills do not fully close. These mites prevent the gills from being able to function properly

15 Common Betta Fish Diseases (With Pictures): Prevention

These fish gills help to extract oxygen from water. In the breathing process of fish, water first enters through the mouth and then passes through feathery filaments of gills. These filaments of gills are short threads like protein structures and have a capillary network that provides a large surface area for the exchange of oxygen and carbon. Betta fish are often kept in relatively small containers and tanks where water quality can quickly degrade and become toxic. Betta fish also like to gulp food from the water's surface. And, betta fish, like goldfish, are bred frequently and in extreme numbers

Bloated Betta: Causes and Treatments - Betta Sourc

My betta had been swollen for over a week and I tried to get a syringe from the pharmacy, but the would not do. So I used a sharp needle to drain. The bubble immediately deflated and my fish started swimming around rapidly. I kept him in a bowl with fish level water so he could swim, but not go crazy. the water had been treated with epsom Complete Guide to Betta Fish Diseases and Treatment (with pictures) Siamese fighting fish also referred to as Siamese fighting fish are commonly kept as pets within one's office or home.Within their 2-4 year lifespan, with a small handful living longer, as an owner you may notice that your Betta fish has fallen ill. If this is the case, the following complete guide on Betta fish illnesses. Symptoms : Fish has a grey-white film of excess mucus covering its body. Gills may be swollen. Organism : Ciliated protozoan Recommended Treatment Treat with .15 ppm malachite green and .50 ppm formalin. Dosage is given three times, two days apart .2 ppm methylene blue should be added to the treatment if respiratory distress is evident

17 Betta Fish Diseases, Symptoms, Identifying & Treatment

Formation of lesions on gills. Clamped fins. Swollen gills and formation of mucus from gills. Loss of appetite. Rapid gill movement. Causes. Low level of oxygen in the water. Poor quality of water. The use of chlorine water affects the gills. Overpopulation of fish. Treatment. Addition of aquarium salt. Use antibacterial treatments Signs that are commonly observed in a sick betta include: Loss of appetite; may eat and spit out his food. Lethargic; may lay at the bottom of the tank and only come up to the surface for air. May dart and rub their body on tank décor and substrate in an effort to scratch themselves. Appears to have a dull color, pale, and may turn gray For sure they should be fully extended and not clamped tight close to the body. While the gills should not appear swollen. Body Beautiful: The body of a healthy betta should be fully proportionate HTT. (That's head-to-tail!) It should be evenly shaped without any bumps or lumps which may suggest tumor growth Look for the following when documenting betta fish conditions: Low water levels Dirty water (contaminated with uneaten food, feces, algae, etc.) Rapid gill movement Lethargy Raised scales Fungus on the skin A curved spine A swollen or thin belly Inflamed gills Bulging eyes Open sore

Betta Fish at Petco Need Your Help—Send Photos! | PETA

Betta Fish Diseases - How To Treat A Sick Betta Fish

Ich is fairly easy to identify because it manifests in the form of small white dots on the fins, gills and body of infected fish. Though these spots are the most obvious sign, other symptoms of the disease may include clamped fins, labored breathing, lethargy, loss of appetite and rubbing against tank objects Please look for the following when documenting betta fish conditions: Low water levels. Dirty water (contaminated with uneaten food, feces, algae, etc.) Rapid gill movements. Lethargy. Raised scales. Fungus on the skin. A curved spine. A swollen or thin belly

Betta Hlth F 33Diseases in Bettas | Betta Fish Questions

How To Identify And Treat A Sick Betta Fish - Fishxpert

Putting a name with a face I'm Lucas Smatana. Like you I'm passionate about betta fish and hope to share my enthusiasm. The idea here is to make sure you get helpful info and useful ideas on betta fish care that really work. To insure your betta keeping experience is a good one both for you and your fish Betta Fish is one of the various genera in the family One or both eyes may appear to be swollen or protruding, and the gills may not close completely, remaining open halfway. The scales may be raised resembling pine cones. The belly may appear abnormally swollen and protruding. The tail and fins may appear blackened or spotted. Overall, the. They could be showing off to each other Trying to decide if each is a good mate. But also at the same time they could be Trying to attain dominance over one and other. Normally especially if wanting to breed them there not kept together only put t.. Starting an aquarium with a betta splendens is very easy. They are simple fish to care for and adapt well to maintenance routines. If you want to have an aquarium with only one inhabitant, this is one of the best fish. In addition, their vibrant colors are very attractive and are the center of attention in an aquarium Likewise, people ask, why does my betta fish have a bump? Tumor In Your Betta Fish' Gills This could be by a physical injury, parasitical or bacterial infection, or by toxins (like ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites.) Instead of healing effectively, the gill tissue normally grows over the damaged area

Betta Fish Red Inflamed Gills - BETTAKUSIs It Time To Euthanize My Betta? | My Aquarium ClubBetta Diseases - Bettasinanutshell

Betta Fish Tumor: Causes, Cures, and More - Betta Sourc

A Betta has a membrane under its gill plate cover. The membrane sticks out when the gills are closed and is seen as a distinct part of the fish body. It gives a beard like look, hence it is often known as the Beard of a Betta. For a dark, blue or red colored Betta, this beard would be normally dark Popeye, or exophthalmia, is a serious illness that often negatively impacts betta fish and other fish in an aquarium. It is a bacterial infection that causes the fish's eyes to bulge out. The swollen eye may also develop a white ring around it, which is another vital symptom of popeye. Additionally, the infected eyes may look cloudy, and if.

Pinpointing your Betta's symptoms is the first step in diagnosing, Some fish do not develop spots on the skin. Heavy infections may be on the gills and show no evidence of disease on other parts of the body. Does your fish have : a swollen body with scales poking out like a pine cone The primary cause of bloat in betta fish is constipation. Constipation is extremely easy to treat and Swim bladder disease. Swim bladder disease is another common cause of bloat in betta fish. However, swim bladder Dropsy. Dropsy is another cause.Bloating is characterized by inflation of the stomach, often after eating Prevention is always the best medicine when it comes to any fish disease. The best way to ensure Swim Bladder Disorder never happens is to keep your Betta's environment warm and the water clean and well filtered. Room temperatures below 72℉ significantly slow your Betta's metabolism, which reduces both digestion and immune responses